Saturday, April 2, 2016

Mockups...

Short post to end the day.  Wanted to see how the engine would fit, and if it was even worth the struggle.

Its nice when the research you do before starting a project and the reality of that project when you start mesh.  This engine lines up with the mounting holes perfectly!  What I was most worried about was the grill clearance and keeping the hood unmolested.  The barrel top hood, with the deep v front is the thing I love most about this machine.  If this engine wouldn't have fit without modifiying that hood, I would have done something different.

I mentioned that it will be tight...and it is.  The gas tank straps will need some re-engineering to clear the shroud.  Also, the grill is in the standard location.  I will have to change the strap that goes across the front.  The vertical height is no longer correct, and I believe it will need to be "flattened" out a bit.  With the hood on, it looks as though the recoil assembly will be close...so I will have to buy a new fan and screen to eliminate that.  I will also need to figure out a place for a battery and electrical system.  Without a recoil, I will need to utilize the electric start on this engine.  All and all, pretty minor stuff.   I'm getting really excited about this project now!



No comments:

Post a Comment