Friday, April 15, 2016

Weedcutter!

Short post about my tractors...Still working through issues on the Broadmoor.  I have all my parts now though, so I should be able to assemble tomorrow.  My exhaust valve kinda gave me fits...cuz I slipped with the grinder when I was setting my clearance.  Blew the clearance by about, oh, 15 thousandths of an inch!  Max spec is only 11 thousandths, so I really screwed the pooch.  I was able to save it though, thanks to the toolroom at work.  I have a comparator, surface grinder, rotary vice, etc.  I was able to regrind the valve on the seating surface, and bring it back into spec.

 Anyway, this is NOT the reason I'm writing this post.  I'm pretty excited about my newest acquisition.  I got the most ridiculously dangerous, awesome attachment ever!  Its called a weedcutter.  Those of you who are familiar with Simplicity probably know what this monster is.  For those who DON'T know, let me try to describe it.

Its a front mounted attachment.  It has four blades, and they are designed to blaze trails through light forest undergrowth or through pastures.  Long grass, small sticks, that sort of thing.  Think DR trimmer, but on steroids.  The blades are solid, not flails...so they don't "give" when they strike something solid, like a rock or someone's leg.  I LOVE IT!  I don't have any real use for it, but I'll figure something out.  I can cut my folks walking paths through the woods at their house.  I can cut some stuff on the hunting property, if I want...but don't need to do any of that.  I have access to a 40 HP Kubota with a 3 point, rear mounted brushhog.  My sovereign IS more maneuverable than the Kubota though.

The attachment does need some work.  Its missing an arbor and blade.  Those parts are no longer available, so I'll have to make something.  The bearings are stiff, and probably junk.  Those are still available.  The belts are in surprisingly good condition, considering this attachment is almost 50 years old.  Its from 1967.  It needs a paintjob too.  It will be done in due time.  It was one of those items that popped up for sale and I dropped what I was doing to try and get it.  Obviously, it worked out.  I'm happy to have a relatively rare piece.  This one was number 3 off the production line too...Yes, the serial number tag is still intact. Eventually, I want a tractor from the same era to put it on.  Something like this...

The best, most awesome part of this attachment?  The Decal, that says "DANGER ROTATING KNIVES" Anyway, here are a couple pictures...


No comments:

Post a Comment